Financial Literacy for Everyone
Follow Us
Play NFL

Challenge yourself with Financial Football
Play our fun video game to test your knowledge about money.
Play now

PMM articles

Practical Money Matters
Disputing a credit card charge? Graduating? Leasing a car? Learn important tips from our weekly article series.
Read now

social media

Connect with us!
For daily money tips, quips and pics, follow us on social media.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Flexible Spending Accounts Slash Your Taxes

By Jason Alderman

Admit it: You probably spend more time comparison shopping online than reviewing your annual benefits enrollment materials. That's a big mistake because the money you could save by choosing the right employee benefits package probably far exceeds any savings you could get on a big-screen TV.

For example, many people don't sign up for an extremely valuable benefit – flexible spending accounts (FSAs). If your employer offers them, FSAs let you pay for eligible out-of-pocket health care and/or dependent care expenses on a pre-tax basis – that is, before federal, state and Social Security taxes are deducted from your paycheck. Using an FSA to cover expenses you would have paid for anyway reduces your taxable income by that amount, which in turn lowers your taxes.

Here's how it works: Say you earn $40,000 a year and are in a 25 percent tax bracket. If you contribute $1,000 to the health care FSA and $3,000 for dependent care, your taxable income would be $36,000 – about a $1,000 reduction in federal taxes alone, depending on your marital status, withholding deductions and other factors. (Use the calculator at to evaluate your situation.)

Health Care FSAs let you pay for IRS-allowed medical expenses not covered by medical, dental or vision insurance, including deductibles, copayments, orthodontia, glasses and contact lenses, prescriptions, chiropractic, smoking cessation programs and many more. Check IRS Publication 502 at for a list of allowable expenses.

Dependent Care FSAs let you use pre-tax dollars to pay for expenses related to care for your children, disabled spouse, parent, or other dependent incapable of self-care, including:

  • Licensed day care or adult care facility fees.
  • Services provided in or outside your home (including babysitter, nursery school or summer day camp) so that you and your spouse can work, look for work, or attend school full-time.
  • Before- and after-school programs for dependents under age 13.
  • Babysitting by relatives over age 19 who aren't your dependent.

For some lower-income families, using the federal income tax dependent care tax credit is more advantageous than an FSA so crunch the numbers or ask a tax expert which alternative is better for you. Just be aware that you cannot claim the same expenses under both tax breaks.

Your FSA contributions are deducted from paychecks throughout the year. As you incur eligible expenses, you submit receipts to the plan administrator for reimbursement. Also, many employers now offer prepaid health care cards, which let you draw on your account at the point of service to pay for qualified medical expenses, thereby eliminating the need to pay cash up front and submit reimbursement forms.

Keep in mind these FSA restrictions:

  • Maximum contribution amounts vary by employer, but commonly are $2,000 to $5,000 a year for health care and $5,000 for dependent care FSAs.
  • Health care and dependent care account contributions are not interchangeable.
  • Estimate planned expenses carefully because you must forfeit unused account balances. Some employers offer a grace period of up to 2 ½ months after the end of the plan year to incur expenses; but that's not mandatory, so review your enrollment materials.
  • You must re-enroll in FSAs each year – amounts don't carry over from year to year.

To learn more about how FSAs work, visit Practical Money Skills for Life, a free personal financial management program run by Visa Inc. (

This article is intended to provide general information and should not be considered legal, tax or financial advice. It's always a good idea to consult a tax or financial advisor for specific information on how certain laws apply to your situation and about your individual financial situation.

<< Back to Practical Money Matters

Email to a friend

Your Name:
Your Email:
Recipient's Email:
Enter code:

The information that you provide through this e-mail feature will not be stored by Visa for any other purposes. Please refer to Visa's privacy policy for details.