May 30, 2011
Seniors—Are Medical Expenses Killing Your Budget?
What seniors should know about government and patient assistance programs that could help ease their medical costs.
Fixed incomes and rising medical costs don’t mix. If you’re a senior citizen, you know this all too well. Here are a few ways to trim your health care costs:
• If your health insurance doesn’t cover a specific medical expense, ask your doctor about discounts for paying cash.
• Ask if there are cheaper generic versions of your medications and whether you can get a quantity discount for mail-order prescriptions.
• Use preventive care before your conditions get out of control.
• Most drug makers offer patient assistance programs that provide uninsured and low-income people, including seniors, access to medications they couldn’t afford otherwise. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for details.
Bottom line: Don’t let your financial worries stand in the way of your health needs. Resources are available; you just need to seek them out.
- Choosing the Right Medicare Drug Plan
- Protect Your Health During Tough Times
- Watch Out For Taxes in Retirement
- When Elderly Parents Need Financial Guidance
Email to a friend