July 1, 2013
Reignite Your Job Search
If you are worried about a layoff or ready for a career change, find out how to get your job search off on the right foot.
Maybe you're worried about a layoff – or it's just time for a career change. Either way, it's always wise to have an up-to-date resume and an active contact network looking out for you.
Here are a few tips:
- Many companies now primarily post jobs and search for candidates online. So learn how sites like Monster and Careerbuilder work.
- Your resume will be screened for critical key words and phrases, so customize different versions for particular jobs.
- Concise, strong language and an organized appearance are vital.
- Many great jobs are never advertised, so let friends, family and even casual acquaintances know you're looking.
- Create a 10-second "elevator speech" that captures who you are, your qualifications and what you're looking for.
Bottom line: Prepare in advance in order to put your best foot forward with potential employers.
- Women and Personal Finances
- Tax Strategies in a Tough Economy
- Easing Student Loan Repayments
- Financial Advice for Graduates
Email to a friend