August 19, 2013
Tax Benefits for Military Families
Learn more about the many tax benefits, social services and financial assistance programs available to help military families.
Military families face numerous financial challenges. Fortunately, many programs are available to help. Tax benefits for active duty personnel include:
- Deductions for unreimbursed moving expenses.
- Military pay while serving in a combat zone is tax-free.
- Deadlines for filing tax returns, paying taxes and other actions are automatically extended for qualifying military members.
- Reserve members can deduct certain travel expenses to perform their duties.
- Most military installations offer free tax filing and preparation assistance.
The IRS's Armed Forces' Tax Guide at IRS.gov provides an excellent summary of military-related tax topics. Bottom line: You've served your country; now let your country serve you.
- What Healthcare Reform Means to You
- How to Save on Back-to-School Shopping
- What Happens When You Can't Pay Your Medical Bills?
- Improving Financial Literacy Here and Abroad
Email to a friend